Monday, April 23, 2012

March 2012 Laos Day 2

Good morning!
2 hours of the time difference woke me up early, at around 6am.
Ignoring a tuk-tuk driver waiting at the entrance, I took a step toward the central area of this town.
It was cool and humid outside. I brought a wool stole to cover my bare arms until the sun rose.

Morning in  Luang Phabang begins with the mendicants.
People, both residents and travelers, were waiting on the road with offerings.

Then priests came....

There were lots of young ones.

If you want to offer them, you can find women selling foods for offering everywhere.

What I needed to do asap was the money exchange.
Since my arrival was late at night, the exchange booth in the airport had been closed.
I hope they will open until the final flight arrives for those who have no currency in circulation and need to pay for the transportation from the airport. 
Exchange booths were easy to be found on the main street, but I had to wait until they opened the booth at 7am.

At that time I had a US$100 bill which was exchanged for my past travel but never spent, so I decided to exchange it there to Kip.
Let me notice that in Luang Phabang US$ is valid, but US$100 bill looked too big considering prices there.
As I was given a bunch of the Kip bills at the exchange, I didn't count them in front of the accountant as it would take a long time with my brain stressed by the long flight.
However, later I found that I was given less than the correct amount, omg.
If possible, I recommend you to bring smaller bills so that you can count them in front of the accountant quickly soon after the exchange.

Post office.
There's a counter on the left in front of the main building selling stamps and postcards.
I bought cards there to send my friends.

Preparation for the new stores on the main street... day by day Luang Phabang is growing up as a tourist town!

Tuk-tuk as a common transportation for the tourist.
I had no courage to take it as I didn't know how to deal with the driver for the fare, even didn't know the standard fare, but it looked fun.

Then at the end of the main street,

I turned to the left and walked along the Mekong river.



Any volunteers? I found a poster on the street.
It sounded interesting if I could communicate with Lao students, however, unfortunately I am far from native.



You may see the life of Lao people through the local scenery.




Hmong's market.
You can buy sandwiches, fresh fruit juice, sandals, handcrafts, etc.

This is my hotel, Villa Ban Lao!
My room was on the 2nd floor above the entrance of the main building.
The lady from Happy Smile Tour told us that this building used to belong to the relative of the king of Luang Phabang.
I came back for my breakfast.

My breakfast of the day.
Nice omelette! And fresh fruits!

Restaurant and garden of my hotel. Lodges over there.

Lobby.

Lounge on the second floor, you may find the door of my guestroom on the right.


Then I went out again for my exploration of this town!
Now you may know Luang Phabang is known as the town of Buddhism.
You can find temples everywhere.
This is Wat Manorom, neighbor temple of my hotel.

Wat Visoun, known as "Watermelon Stupa" because of the shape of its roof they say... umm.

You can also find nice cafes and restaurants there, waiting the visit of the tourists.

Dragon fruits smoothie and lime tart at Saffron Cafe, beside the Mekong river.*Loves*

Five bites at Tamarind Cafe, beside the Nam Khan river.
Sticky rice is one of the characteristics of the Lao food.
And Beer Lao dark, great!If you love the taste of Japanese beer, you may love Beer Lao too.


I love walking around the town, however, there's a physical limit with me.
I went back to have a rest by escaping from the heat until the night market started.
I took a shower and nap... so good....


Still my body hurt.
I visited Khmu Spa on the main street for massage before my dinner.

While I was collecting information of Luang Phabang, I found a Western restaurant called Blue Lagoon.
It was my wish to visit there and eat pasta as some bloggers had mentioned it.
Their dishes were expensive comparing to the other restaurant, but their service, mood, and taste were fabulous!

Small soup, 2 baguettes, and herb garlic butter for free(!).
As the butter tasted really good, I finished baguettes unbelievably, then the waiter brought more baguettes!

Luang Prabang Salad. Huge, but never mind, I finished.

Tagliatelle mushroom sauce. Yum!

One of the fantastic moments in Luang Phabang is the night market.
You can find lovely handcrafts by Hmongs.




And buffet stalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment